Oyster mushrooms in place of chicken, breaded in panko, vegan Parmesan and herbs make the absolute best vegan Milanese! This recipe is so simple and gives you the juiciest on the inside and crispiest on the outside mushrooms. They are fried in oil, but can also be cooked in an air fryer. Drizzled with a lemon vinaigrette, you may never want to make mushrooms any other way again. I really love oyster mushrooms for this recipe, but you can use any kind of mushrooms for this Milanese.
What You Need For This Mushroom Milanese:
- Oyster Mushrooms: Obviously. You can use other kinds of mushrooms if you prefer.
- Flour, Non-dairy Milk and Dijon Mustard: These make the wet batter for the mushrooms.
- Panko, Vegan Parmesan, Parsley and Lemon Zest: These make the dry coating for the mushrooms. I like Follow Your Heart Vegan Parmesan!
- Lemon Juice, Garlic, Dijon, Agave and Olive Oil: These are for the lemon vinaigrette to drizzle over the Milanese.
You can serve this vegan Milanese with all kinds of sauces on top if you want. The mushrooms are delicious with pesto or balsamic vinaigrette as well as the lemon vinaigrette. However, the mushrooms are so flavorful, you can serve them on their own or with just a salad or pasta! This recipe takes less than 30 minutes and is incredible! If you love fried veggies, try my Vegan Bang Bang Broccoli!
Why Should You Make These Crispy Fried Mushrooms?
- They are so juicy and crispy and salty and incredible.
- This Milanese is super easy to throw together.
- The mushrooms can be fried in oil or in the air fryer.
- The lemon vinaigrette is so yummy and goes so well with the fried mushrooms.
- The mushrooms can be served with salad or pasta or veggies!
Oyster Mushroom Vegan Milanese
- 3 Tablespoons Lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Agave syrup
- 2-3 Cloves Garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Pinch of Black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Basil or Parsley
- 1/3 Cup Olive oil
Oyster Mushroom Milanese
- 1/2 Cup All purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Salt, divided
- 1/2 Cup Non-dairy milk
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Cup Panko breadcrumbs, vegan
- 1/4 Cup Vegan Parmesan, I used Follow Your Heart
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Lemon zest
- 6 Ounces Oyster mushrooms
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- First, make the lemon vinaigrette. In a food processor or blender, combine all the vinaigrette ingredients and pulse until the vinaigrette comes together and is a light yellow color. Set aside.
- Now, prep the Milanese. In a medium sized mixing bowl whisk together the flour and 1 teaspoon of salt. Then pour in the non-dairy milk and Dijon and whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- In a separate medium sized mixing bowl, stir together the panko, remaining 1 teaspoon of salt, the vegan Parmesan, parsley and lemon zest.
- Now, take one cluster of the oyster mushrooms and dip it into the wet batter you made and coat thoroughly, I use my hand and rub batter in-between the individual mushrooms in the cluster.
- Then put the mushroom cluster into the panko coating and press the coating onto the mushroom cluster and in-between the individual mushrooms. Coating completely.
- Repeat with all the mushroom clusters you have, I usually get about 4 per package. Set them on a plate.
- Now, heat about 1-2 inches of vegetable oil in a large skillet on medium high. The oil is ready when small bubbles form on top. Fry the mushrooms, reducing heat as needed, for 2-3 minutes per side or until the mushrooms are nice and crispy and golden brown.
- Serve immediately with the lemon vinaigrette drizzled over the top of the mushrooms. I like to serve with a salad or pasta.