I understand if you are a but skeptical of this one pot vegan dill pickle chowder. However, I can 100% assure you, this chowder is seriously delicious! Easy, hearty, comforting and perfect for cool weather. Potatoes, spicy vegan sausage, and of course dill pickles, pickle juice and extra fresh dill. I just need you to trust me, this Polish inspired chowder will be one of your new favorite things ever. Usually pickle soups are made using several different pots/pans, so I wanted to not only make an incredible plant-based version, I wanted it to be easy, with quick clean up.
What You Need For This Creamy Chowder:
- Onion, Carrots and Potatoes: To create that chowder feel.
- Dill Pickles and Fresh Dill: Chopped pickles, pickle juice and fresh dill go into the chowder.
- Vegetable Broth: I like to use premade broth, but if you like to make your own that is good too.
- Vegan Yogurt and Flour: Yogurt mixed with some pickle juice and flour goes into the chowder to thicken it.
- Vegan Sausage: I used spicy beyond sausage.
There is nothing like the flavor of this one pot vegan dill pickle chowder. The brininess of the pickles with the creaminess of the chowder is unmatched. The tender potatoes with the dill and onions is incredible. I am totally in love with this dish! Serve it all by its self or with some crusty bread for dipping. I promise you will create some huge fans with this meal.
Why Should You Make This Dill Pickle Dish?
- One pot meals are in fact, the best meals.
- Spicy, tangy, salty, creamy, everything.
- Mega comforting.
- Quick and easy, but still fancy.
- This one is for all my pickle lovers!
One Pot Vegan Dill Pickle Chowder
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1/2 a Sweet onion, diced
- 1 large Carrots, diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 Cup Dill pickles, diced
- 6 Ounces Vegan spicy sausage, crumbled
- 2 Large Russet potatoes, diced
- 6 Cups Vegetable broth
- 1/3 Cup Plain vegan yogurt, I used Kite Hill
- 3 Tablespoons Pickle juice
- 1 Tablespoon All purpose flour
- 1/4 Cup Fresh dill, chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil on medium high in a large soup pot.
- Add the onion, carrots, garlic and pickles to the pot. Sauté, reducing heat as needed, until the onion is translucent. About 1-2 minutes.
- Add the sausage to the pot and break up into crumbles with a wooden spoon. Toss with the veggies and continue to sauté until the sausage is brown. 1-3 more minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Remove the sautéed sausage and veggies from the pot, put in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Now, add the potatoes to the pot and heat on medium. Sprinkle the potatoes with a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss.
- Pour the vegetable broth into the pot and stir the potatoes with the broth. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium low.
- Let the potatoes simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- While the potatoes simmer, whisk together the vegan yogurt, pickle juice and flour in a small mixing bowl.
- Once the potatoes are tender, pour the yogurt mixture into the pot with the broth and potatoes and whisk to combine.
- Then add the veggies and sausage back to the pot and stir everything together.
- Bring back to a simmer, and let simmer until the chowder thickens slightly and is creamy.
- Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add the fresh dill and stir.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt and pepper and/or pickle juice if needed.