These tofu nuggets are dreamy!
Vegan Nashville hot tofu nuggets are little bites of bliss. I warn you, they may make you cry from joy. My take on Nashville hot chicken. Which is deep fried, and I promise, I made these just as crispy, but without frying them! These tofu nuggets are baked, but unbelievably crispy and crunchy! Nashville hot sauce is a little sweet and very spicy. These vegan Nashville hot tofu nuggets didn’t last more than 5 minutes in my house!
These tofu nuggets stay crispy for a long time, in case you want to serve a platter at a party! You can even bake them ahead of time, and toss them in the sauce right before you are ready to devour them! I love pressing my tofu over night to make these nuggets ultra firm on the inside!
My friend recently sent me a picture of some pre-pressed tofu she got, and I was totally excited. I feel like I spend a good 20% of my life pressing tofu. Think of all the things I could accomplish. Whatever way you press your tofu, the longer you do it, the firmer it will be!
These vegan Nashville hot tofu nuggets are super quick and easy, baked, sweet and spicy and one of the most amazingly addictive things I have ever eaten. Serve alone, just pop them in your mouth, serve with any dipping sauce you may want, or classic on white bread with pickles!
Vegan Nashville Hot Tofu Nuggets
- 1 Block Extra firm tofu
- 1 C. Almond milk or other non dairy milk
- 1 tsp. Apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. Hot sauce, divided
- 1 C. All purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. Salt, divided
- 2 C. Panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 C. Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 3 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. Agave syrup
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
- First, you need to press the tofu. You can either use a tofu press, or place the tofu on a plate, and put something heavy on top. Press for at least 30 minutes, but the longer the better, and you can even do it over night.
- Once you are ready to make the tofu nuggets, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Now, cut the block of tofu into cubes. Set aside.
- Then take 3 medium/smallish mixing bowls. In the first bowl, whisk together the almond milk, apple cider vinegar and the 1 tsp. of hot sauce. In the second bowl, whisk together the flour and the 1 tsp. of salt. In the third bowl, add the panko.
- Now, taking a few cubes of tofu at a time, toss them in the flour, shake off excess, now put them into the almond milk mixture, make sure they are totally soaked, then back into the flour then back into the almond milk, then into the panko coating completely. Pat the panko on to the tofu to make sure it is fully coated.
- Repeat with all the tofu cubes, placing them on a baking sheet sprayed with non stick spray, until all the tofu is coated. Then bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes flipping them halfway through baking, or until they are brown and crunchy.
- While the tofu is baking, make the sauce. In a small sauce pan, melt the vegan butter and olive oil together on medium low. Then whisk in the 2 Tbsp. of hot sauce, agave, paprika, garlic powder, and the 1/2 tsp. of salt. Let simmer for a minute, then turn the heat off.
- Once the tofu is done, toss the nuggets in the sauce and serve immediately!