Don’t be a jerk, make this pizza.
Jerk tempeh sausage crumbles, pineapple, red onion and vegan cheese create one of the greatest pizzas I have ever had. This vegan Jamaican jerk pizza is sweet, spicy and irresistible. You will not be able to eat just one slice. A super easy jerk sauce tossed with crispy tempeh crumbles. Sprinkle on pizza dough, then top with vegan cheese of your choice, and sliced pineapple and red onion.
So, let us talk about the pineapple on pizza debate. While I am definitely on the side of pineapple on pizza, where ever you stand, this pizza needs it. It works so well with the jerk tempeh, it should not be skipped. Also, if you are on the side of no pineapple on pizza, this may change your mind!
Now, on to the jerk sauce. I could drink this sauce. Well, maybe not, cause it is pretty spicy, but you get my point. It is all easy to find ingredients, and if you can’t find scotch bonnet peppers, you can use your favorite type of spicy pepper.
This vegan Jamaican jerk pizza is perfect in every way, and let’s be honest we all need a little pizza every now and then. Some of us need it more than others(pssst… I’m talking about me).
Vegan Jamaican Jerk Pizza
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper
- 4 Scallions
- 1/4 C. Orange juice
- 1 Tbsp. Agave syrup
- 1 Tbsp. Red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. Thyme, dried
- 1/2 tsp. All spice
- A pinch of Salt and pepper
For the Pizza
- 8 oz. Tempeh
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil, divided
- 1/3 C. Pineapple, chopped
- 1/4 C. Red onion sliced
- 1 C. Vegan cheese, I used Follow your heart
- 16 oz. (1lb) Vegan pizza dough, I used Trader Joe's
- First, make the jerk sauce. Cut the top off the scotch bonnet pepper, and remove the seeds. Then add all of the jerk sauce ingredients to a food processor. Pulse until the sauce is smooth and fully combined, scrapping down sides as needed. Set aside.
- Now, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a non stick skillet on medium high. Then crumble the tempeh into the skillet. Break up any large pieces of tempeh so it looks like sausage crumbles.
- Brown the tempeh crumbles in the skillet, reducing heat as needed, tossing the crumbles until they are completely brown. This may take 5-10 minutes.
- Then, pour the jerk sauce into the skillet with the tempeh crumbles and toss to coat. Reduce heat to low and saute for another minute. Then remove from heat.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Next, roll the pizza dough out on a floured surface to your desired thickness. Then place on a pizza pan that has been sprayed with non stick spray.
- Brush the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil on top of the pizza. Then sprinkle half the vegan cheese on top. Then the jerk tempeh crumbles, then the rest of the cheese, then the pineapple and red onion.
- Bake the pizza at 450 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until the pizza is brown and cooked all the way through. Serve!