I feel like, and hear me out, I may…be the queen of soups. This easy vegan queso fundido soup is one of the best around. It is spicy, creamy, and tastes just like I remember meaty restaurant quesos tasting. Which I was obsessed with as a kid. We used to go to Chili’s a lot when I was a child, because that was about as fancy as we got. I absolutely loved their queso and this tastes just like that. I topped this incredible soup with spiced tater tots, and my word, it is killer! This is a super easy soup as well, so you really don’t have to be much of a cook to make this happen.
What You Need For This Queso Soup:
- Onion and Garlic: Sautéed in olive oil to get the soup started.
- Chili Powder, Paprika, Chipotle Powder and Cumin: These are what I use to spice up the soup.
- Pickled Jalapenos, Green Chiles and Kidney Beans: Add all these in with the spices and garlic and onion.
- Salsa: I used mild because I am a spice wimp, but you can use any kind you like.
- Vegetable Broth, Vegan Cream Cheese and Vegan Cheese Shreds: I used Daiya Cheese and the Philadelphia Vegan Cream Cheese.
- Soyrizo: You should be able to find this at most stores.
- Frozen Tater Tots: Some of them aren’t vegan, so just check the ingredients.
Queso fundido customarily has chorizo in it. So, I used soyrizo for this easy vegan queso fundido soup. I simply saute it in the pot first and then remove it and add it back to the soup at the end. You can also saute it in a separate non-stick skillet if you have trouble with things sticking to the bottom of you soup pot. Other than that, you basically just toss everything into a soup pot and let it cook. I don’t think there are words for how good this soup is, you’ll just have to try it for yourself.
Why Should You Make This Plant-Based Soup?
- It is so easy, you basically throw everything in a pot.
- It is spicy and creamy and so comforting.
- The tater tots on top are a must!
- This recipe is perfect for meal prep.
- I love this soup on a nice chilly night!
Easy Vegan Queso Fundido Soup
- 3 Tablespoons Olive oil, divded
- 12 ounces Soyrizo
- 1/2 a Yellow onion, diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1/4 Cup Pickled jalapenos, chopped
- 1 Can(4oz) Green chiles
- 1 Can(15oz) Kidney beans
- 1 Tablespoon Chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoons Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Chipotle powder
- 16 Ounces Salsa, I used mild
- 4 Cups Vegetable broth
- 4 Ounces Vegan cream cheese
- 8 Ounces Vegan cheddar style cheese, I used Daiya
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cilantro, Red onion, Green onion for topping
- First cook the soyrizo, either in the soup pot you plan to use for the soup or a non-stick skillet. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium high. Add the soyrizo and sauté, reducing heat as needed, for about 5-7 minutes or until the soyrizo has browned.
- Either turn off the heat and let the soyrizo sit in the skillet or if you used the soup pot, remove the soyrizo from the pot and put it into a bowl and set aside.
- Now, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium high in a large soup pot.
- Add the onion and garlic. Sauté, reducing heat as needed, for 2-3 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Pour the jalapenos. green chiles and kidney beans into the pot and stir to combine. Sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
- Then sprinkle in the chili powder, paprika, cumin, chipotle powder and a pinch of salt to the pot and stir to combine everything.
- Pour the salsa and broth into the pot and stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium low. Let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- While the soup simmers, cook the tater tots, drizzle the frozen tots with the olive oil and spices. Toss to coat them. Then cook according to package directions.
- Now, add the vegan cream cheese and vegan cheese to the pot. Let the cheeses melt into the soup, stirring occasionally until they have completely melted.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt or pepper if needed.
- Once the tater tots are done, serve a bowl of soup with tater tots on top as well as cilantro or onions if desired.