I am in love with two things. Soft pretzels and making the best flaky, buttery biscuits ever. I turned these two into one with these easy vegan pretzel biscuits. “Buttermilk” biscuits with all the layers. They are then brushed with a baking soda and water mixture that you would normally use to boil pretzels. That creates that nice brown crust that a pretzel has, but they are buttery biscuits that you can cut open and spread with anything you like. I recommend “honey” butter, fruit preserves or caramel!
What You Need For These Plant-Based Biscuits:
- All purpose Flour: This of course starts the biscuit dough.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda: These are to create the perfect fluffy biscuits.
- Non-dairy Milk and Apple Cider Vinegar: To create vegan buttermilk.
- Vegan Butter: I used Country Crock Plant Butter, you want it to be cold.
- Water and Baking Soda: Simmered until the baking soda dissolves, this is brushed on to the biscuits.
- Corse Salt: For topping the biscuits.
These easy vegan pretzel biscuits are to die for. Super unique and so delicious. They are perfect for your fall get togethers, autumn and winter holidays. The combination of the salty biscuits with the sweet “honey” butter is almost too good. But, I guess too good isn’t really a thing, is it? These may be homemade biscuits, but man are they easy and so worth a few extra steps.
Why Should You Make These Pretzel Biscuits?
- They are the best of two incredible worlds.
- These “buttermilk” biscuits are flaky and buttery.
- The outside of them has that perfect salty, pretzel “crust”.
- Everyone will love these sweet and salty treats.
- This biscuit recipe is the easiest around.
Easy Vegan Pretzel Biscuits
- 1/4 Cup Vegan butter, room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons Agave syrup
- Pinch of Salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees(F).
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Cut the cold butter into cubes and drop them into the bowl with the dry ingredients.
- Begin to cut the butter into the dry ingredients, either with a fork or pastry cutter. Then I like to use my fingers to pinch and press the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles sand.
- Pour the non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar into the bowl and then begin to stir the dough together.
- Then use your hands to knead the dough completely together until the dough is evenly combined.
- Put the dough in the fridge while you prep the toppings.
- In a small sauce pan, bring the water to a boil and then add the baking soda. Let the baking soda dissolve into the water and then put the water on low heat.
- Now, roll the biscuit dough out on a floured surface until it is about 1/2 an inch thick. Cut out biscuits using a circle or square cutter. Bring the scraps back together and cutting out more biscuits.
- Put the biscuits on a pan that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. I like to put them right up against each other, that helps them rise.
- Take the baking soda and water mixture off the heat. Then generously brush the tops and sides of the biscuits with the water. This creates the pretzel crust.
- Then brush the tops of the biscuits with the oil and then sprinkle the tops with the coarse salt.
- Bake for 13 to 16 minutes or until the biscuits are nice and brown.
- While the biscuits bake, make the "honey" butter. Whisk together the vegan butter, agave and salt until smooth.
- Once the biscuits are done, serve them with the butter.