This creamy vegan broccoli casserole tastes like the most magical, cheesy, broccoli soup. But so much better! Why you ask? Well, it is thicker, has big broccoli florets and is topped with a buttery cracker topping. There is nutmeg in the creamy sauce. Garlic and onion powder in the crunchy topping. If you ever wondered if you could make a broccoli dish so good, people wouldn’t be able to stop eating it. Look no further, this is it. I always walk back in forth in the kitchen, pretending I need to do stuff. Just to keep getting bites of broccoli casserole before I serve it to anyone else.
What You Need For This Cheesy Broccoli Casserole:
- Broccoli: I have only tried this with fresh broccoli and I really think it is important to use fresh.
- Garlic: Lots of it!
- Vegan Butter and Flour: To make a roux that thickens the sauce.
- Non-dairy Milk and Veggie Broth: These are the liquids for the sauce.
- Vegan Cheese: Any cheddar style shreds will work.
- Nutmeg, Garlic and Onion Powder, Paprika: The nutmeg goes in the cream sauce and the rest go in the topping.
- Crackers: Vegan crackers crushed and tossed with more vegan cheese and the spices go ion top of the casserole.
This creamy vegan broccoli casserole is super easy. All made in one pot and then poured into a casserole dish and baked. If you are looking for something a little different to serve as a holiday vegetable side dish, you won’t regret making this. Some of my other favorite holiday veggie sides are THIS WILD MUSHROOM GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE and CINNAMON STREUSEL SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE!
Why Should You Make This Holiday Side Dish?
- It is comically easy.
- This casserole is one of the most delicious ways to eat broccoli.
- Makes THE PERFECT holiday side dish that everyone will love.
- A great way to eat more veggies!
- Kid and Adult approved!
Creamy Vegan Broccoli Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees(F).
- In a small bowl, make the topping. Toss the cracker crumbs, vegan cheese, and spices together. Pour the melted butter over the crumbs and toss again. Set aside.
- Now, start the casserole in a large pot. Heat the vegan butter on medium high. Once it has melted, add the garlic.
- Sauté for 1-2 minutes. Then pour in the flour and stir to combine the butter and flour. Making a paste(roux).
- Let the roux cook for 1-2 minutes. Then pour in the non-dairy milk. Whisk to combine, making sure there are no lumps of flour left.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium low and let simmer until it thickens. Whisking frequently. About 5 minutes.
- Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and the nutmeg. Whisk.
- Then pour the vegetable broth into the pot and whisk again.
- Bring back to a simmer, then add the vegan cheese. Whisk frequently until the cheese has melted into the sauce and it is nice and thick.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt and pepper if needed.
- Pour the broccoli florets into the pot and toss to thoroughly combine the broccoli with the sauce.
- Pour the broccoli and all the sauce into a 13×9 inch baking dish. Smooth out evenly.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove the baking dish from the oven and sprinkle the cracker topping evenly over the top. Bake for another 15-20 minutes or until the casserole is golden brown and the broccoli is tender.
- It will still look a little liquidy, but will thicken as you let it cool for a few minutes.
- Let it cool for about 5 minutes. Then serve!