It’s summer and I want all the cold and delicious ice cream sandwiches. So, I made you guys these cowboy vegan ice cream cookie sandwiches! Cowboy cookies are not your average chocolate chip cookies. There are oats, pecans, coconut AND chocolate in these cookies. They are also the perfect cookies to be stuffed with ice cream. They are soft enough that they won’t just crumble when you bite them, but firm enough that they stay together. I filled them with just some vegan vanilla ice cream, but chocolate or maybe even salted caramel would be great too! They are a perfect sweet and salty cookie.
What You Need For These Vegan Ice Cream Sandwiches:
- Vegan Butter, Apple Sauce, Vanilla: These are the wet ingredients for the cookies.
- Cane Sugar and Brown Sugar: I really like using both sugars for these cookies.
- Flour, Baking Soda, Salt, Cinnamon, Oats: These are the dry ingredients for the cookies.
- Dark Chocolate, Pecans, Coconut Flakes: These are the added into the cookies.
- Vegan Ice Cream: I used vanilla ice cream, but you can use whatever flavor you want.
These cowboy vegan ice cream cookie sandwiches are ridiculously good! You can make 4 large ones with this recipe, or make more mini ones if you’d like. I love dipping one side of the ice cream sandwich into some melted dark chocolate and then rolling in more pecans or coconut. Or both! They are really easy to make, especially if you just use store bought ice cream. You can certainly use homemade ice cream if you want, but vegans have so many ice cream options in the store now. Which is pretty exciting.
Why Should You Make These Vegan Frozen Treats?
- These are seriously the best cookies.
- They are only made better by filling them with ice cream.
- They are a super fun treat to make, especially with kids.
- The cookies are really easy to make and the perfect texture for holding ice cream.
- A more perfect summer treat doesn’t exist!
Cowboy Vegan Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches
For The Cookies
- 1/2 Cup Vegan butter, room temperature I used Earth Balance
- 1/3 Cup Organic cane sugar
- 1/3 Cup Brown sugar
- 1/4 Cup Applesauce
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 1 Cup All purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 1/4 Cups Quick cooking oats
- 1/2 Cup Dark chocolate chunks or chips, vegan
- 1/3 Cup Roasted and salted pecans, chopped
- 1/3 Cup Coconut flakes
For The Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 Pint Vegan vanilla ice cream
- 1 Cup Dark chocolate, melted
- Chopped pecans and coconut for coating
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees(F).
- Now in the bowl of a stand mixer, or a large mixing bowl, combine the vegan butter, cane sugar and brown sugar. Using the paddle attachment for the stand mixer or a hand mixer, beat together the butter and sugars until fully combined and fluffy.
- Then add the applesauce and vanilla into the butter and sugar and continue to beat until fully combined, scraping down the sides as needed. Set aside.
- In a separate medium sized mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Now, stir the oats into the dry ingredients.
- Start adding the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients a little at a time, beating the whole time, until the dry ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Fold the dark chocolate, pecans and coconut into the cookie dough.
- Scoop about 1/4 cup scoops of the dough onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper about 2 inches apart from each other. You should get about 8 cookies, so you can make 4 large ice cream sandwiches.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool completely, then scoop 1/4 of the pint of ice cream on to 4 cookies. Then top with another cookie.
- Either freeze at this point, or you can dip one side of the ice cream sandwich into melted chocolate and roll into pecans and coconut. Then freeze. Freeze for at least 2 hours to let them firm up. Then enjoy!