The best dang vegan cheesesteaks of all time!
I have crossed paths with many sandwiches, honestly, I think a good sandwich is my favorite thing in life. Once I tried one of my chipotle vegan cheesesteaks, I realized my life had not been complete until that moment. This messy, incomparable vegan cheesesteak is not only to die for, it is so easy. The part of the “steak” is played by soy curls. So all you have to do it soak them and then brown then in a pan. The bread is slathered in chipotle mayo, and my easiest cheeze sauce ever is given a little heat with some of the adobo sauce from the chipotles!
Once you soak your soy curls, you saute them with red bell pepper, jalapenos, onions and seasonings to make them taste very “steaky.” The chipotle mayo takes 2 seconds to throw together. I like to fill my sandwich roll to the brim to make sure it is even more messy and delicious. Then drizzle the slightly spicy cheeze sauce on top of the whole sandwich and get ready for a spiritual awakening.
So, let’s talk soy curls. Have you had them before? They are dehydrated soy strips, and they are becoming pretty dang popular. You should be able to find them at a lot stores, I like to get these bigger strips at my local Asian market. However, the tiny strips are common and you should be able to easily find them. Any kind will do! Here are some links to soy curls in case you need to order them:
- Butler Soy Curls, 8 oz. Bags (Pack of 3)
- Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP), 100% Certified Non-GMO Soybeans, 100% Vegan, Made in USA, Imitation Beef, Gluten Free, MSG Free, Just Like Beef, Unflavored, 16 oz, Makes 3.4 lbs. (1 Pack)
There is not a single person alive that doesn’t need a chipotle vegan cheesesteaks in their lives. I am really into soy curls right now, and if you buy a big bag for these cheesesteaks, you can use them for so many other things. They are great to throw in a stir fry, so yummy in some pho. They can be used for so many different things! However, I don’t think anything is better than these cheesesteaks!
Chipotle Vegan Cheesesteak
"Steak" and Veggies
- 7-8 oz. Soy curls
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 Large Red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 Jalapenos, sliced
- 1/2 a Sweet onion, sliced thin
- 6 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Liquid aminos or soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Molasses
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 Cup Vegan mayo, I used Hellman's
- 1 Chipotle in adobo, finely chopped
- 1/2 Teaspoon Adobo sauce from the can
- Pinch of salt
Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 2 Tablespoons All purpose flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Almond milk or non-dairy milk of choice
- 1/4 Cup Nutritional yeast
- 1 Teaspoon Adobo sauce from the can
- Salt and pepper to taste
For The Sandwiches
- 3-4 Hoagie Rolls, vegan
- Start by re-hydrating your soy curls. Check your package for directions, but I usually soak mine in hot water for 10-15 minutes.
- While the soy curls are soaking, make the chipotle mayo. Mix all the mayo ingredients together in a small bowl and put in the fridge until ready to use.
- When the soy curls are ready to be cooked, heat the olive oil on medium high in a large nonstick skillet.
- Add the bell pepper, the jalapenos, the onions and the garlic. Saute, reducing heat as needed until the onions and peppers are beginning to brown. About 5-7 minutes.
- Then add the soy curls into the skillet, and saute for another 5-7 minutes to brown the soy curls as well. Season with a few pinches of salt and pepper.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the aminos or soy sauce, the molasses and the tomato paste. Add that to the skillet and toss the soy curls and veggies in the sauce. Continue to saute to for a few more minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings. Soy curls don't taste like anything, so make sure they are seasoned well.
- Remove from the heat.
- Now, make the cheese sauce. You can remove the soy curls from the skillet and use that so you don't dirty more dishes.
- Heat the vegan butter on medium high until melted, whisk in the flour to form a paste(roux). Let it simmer for a minute. Reducing heat as needed.
- Now, whisk in the non-dairy milk, making sure the roux is completely incorporated and there are no lumps.
- Then, whisk in the nutritional yeast, the adobo and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, and simmer on low for 3-4 minutes, whisking or until the cheese sauce is nice and thick. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Now, slather a hoagie roll with chipotle mayo, fill with soy curls and veggies and drizzle the vegan cheese sauce on top!