Na-cho average nachos!
No need to clean your glasses(everyone else wears glasses too, right?). Vegan cheeseburger nachos are a real thing. They are real, and they are amazing! Nachos are the food I think I crave more than anything else. I just want super crispy tortilla chips covered in all kinds of delicious toppings! These tortilla chips are smothered in tofu ground “beef”, crazy easy vegan nacho cheese sauce, lettuce, tomatoes, onion and pickles. There are really no words to describe how delicious these vegan cheeseburger nachos are. They need there own word like delyummaze.
These vegan cheeseburger nachos are really hard to mess up, and they are super fast. Perfect to serve a crowd, or you can keep them all to yourself, I won’t tell anyone. The tofu “ground beef” is incredibly easy to make. Crumbled tofu is browned in a pan then seasoned with soy sauce, liquid smoke, onion and garlic powder. The smell is insane. Like mouth watering.
Then a super quick, like 2 minute nacho cheese sauce is made. Layer the tofu, and cheese sauce with chips and all the essential cheeseburger toppings. Nachos will never be the same.
Gather all your friends near and far, they will want to get their hands on these nachos fo’ sho’. These nachos are currently on every dinner party menu I am a part of. You can’t get tired of them, it is impossible.
Vegan Cheeseburger Nachos
Tofu Ground Beef
- 1 Block(15oz.) Extra firm tofu, pressed
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. Soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Liquid smoke
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Onion powder
- 1 Tbsp. Maple syrup
Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 1/4 C. Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 1/4 C. All purpose flour
- 2 C. Almond milk or other non dairy milk
- 2 Tbsp. Nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp. Yellow mustard
- 1 tsp. Turmeric
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For the Nachos
- 8-10 oz. Tortilla chips
- 1/2 C. Lettuce, shredded
- 1/3 C. Tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 C. Pickles, chopped
- 1/4 C. Onion, chopped
- Make the tofu “ground beef” first. Make sure you press your tofu for at least 15 minutes before hand, but the longer the better. You can use a tofu press, or just place something heavy on top of the tofu.
- Now, heat the olive on medium high in a non stick skillet. Then crumble the tofu into the pan. Break up any larger pieces with a wooden spoon.
- Press the tofu into the pan and leave for 2-3 minutes until one side of the crumbled tofu is brown, then stir and press back into the pan, repeat until the tofu is firm and brown. This may take about 10 minutes or so.
- Then add in the soy sauce, liquid smoke, garlic powder, onion powder and maple syrup. Stir to coat all of the tofu, then saute for another minute or so. Taste and adjust seasoning. Set aside. You can leave in the pan to stay warm, or put in the oven on low.
- Next, make the cheese sauce. In a medium sauce pan or skillet, heat the vegan butter on medium until it melts, then whisk in the flour until they are combined and have formed a paste.
- Now, whisk in the almond milk until everything is fully combined. Then whisk in the nutritional yeast, mustard, turmeric and a few pinches of salt and pepper.
- Simmer for a 1-2 minutes, whisking, until the cheese sauce is nice and thick. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Put the nachos together, place half the chips on a platter, top with half the tofu and some cheese sauce. Add more chips then more tofu and more cheese sauce. Top with lettuce, tomatoes, onions and pickles. Serve immediately!