I love buying Bon Apetit Magazine when ever I am at the airport. It is hands down my favorite plane ride buddy. A few weeks ago on my way to New York City, I was of course going to purchase one anyways, but it was the holiday issue which was even more exciting! I was struck immediately by the cover, which was a picture of different gummies. Mostly boozy ones, which I thought was brilliant! I have been wanting to work on a vegan gummy that was similar, but had yet to start the process. I was so inspired by how beautiful the Bon Apetit gummies were, I vowed I would give it a go some time in the next few weeks. So I did. This was a bit of process, getting the right ratio of juice to wine to sweetness to agar flakes took me a while, but I think I am finally really happy with what I have created.
I thought this was a recipe best for the holidays, because, come on they are the perfect holiday party treat! I feel like throwing these babies down for a NYE par-tay would be incredible. They are beautiful, an awesome alternative to a cocktail and so so so easy. They also firm up really fast, so you don’t even have to make them very far in advanced, or you can make them a couple days ahead of time and keep them in the fridge. Ya know, what ever floats your boat!
When I was younger, I remember doing jello shots at some really bad parties, it was fun and awesome, but these are definitely classier and of course vegan, but reminiscent of those old jello shots! I made two different kinds, a red and a white, to satisfy every palate. I am personally a white wine gal, but I have many a friend that will only drink red. So, I’ve got you covered either way. You can also feel free to change up the kind of juice you use, I used blackberry juice for the red and white grape juice for the white and I think they were perfect!
- 1 C. Blackberry juice
- 1/3 C. Red wine
- 1 Tbsp. Sweetener (you can use agave if you want no refined sugar, regular sugar for a little more sweetness, and corn syrup if you want it chewier)
- 4 Tbsp. Agar Agar
- 1 C. White grape juice
- 1/3 C. White wine
- 1 Tbsp. Sweetener
- 4 Tbsp. Agar Agar
- Use the same method for either flavor, in a medium sauce pan, heat the juice, sweetener and agar agar on medium high.
- Bring to a simmer, and simmer for about 3-5 minutes, whisking constantly until the agar and sweetener dissolve.
- Take off the heat and whisk in the wine.
- Pour into silicone molds or a plastic container if you want square gummies.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes to over night.
- If you want square gummies, you can cut them into squares or whatever shape you want! Just like jello jigglers!
- Make sure to add the wine after you take the mixture off the heat so the wine doesn't cook down.