Hello, and welcome to your new favorite vegan macaroni and cheese recipe. Seriously, this caramelized onion and garlic dip vegan mac and cheese might be the best pasta I’ve ever had. It’s incredibly simple, the cheese sauce takes just a few minutes. It is combined with oven caramelized onions and garlic, making it even simpler. No need to stand over the stove and babysit the onions. This mac and cheese tastes just like the most delicious caramelized onion dip and this fall and winter, I am all about it. Creamy, cheesy, decadent and so perfect in every way!
What You Need For Amazing Vegan Mac and Cheese:
- Olive Oil: To help caramelize your onions and garlic in the oven.
- Onions and Garlic: Obviously!
- Vegan Butter: I used Earth Balance, this starts a roux to thicken your cheese sauce.
- All Purpose Flour: To make your roux.
- Non-dairy Milk: I used Oat milk.
- Vegan Cheeses: You can use a combination of cheddar and mozzarella style like I did, or just one or the other. And you will need vegan Parmesan. I really like Follow Your Heart and Violife!
- Pasta: Macaroni or any other short kind of pasta you like!
This caramelized onion and garlic dip vegan mac and cheese is easy enough to make whenever you want, but would also make an amazing holiday side dish. Everyone I know loves when I make this mac and cheese. Vegans and non-vegans alike ask for it. It will definitely be on my table for Thanksgiving this year!
Why Should You Make This Cozy Favorite?
- It tastes like one of my favorite appetizers turned into a whole entrée.
- Carbs and cheesiness.
- Fancy and simple, my two favorite things.
- It is stunningly delicious.
- Makes the perfect holiday side dish.
Caramelized Onion and Garlic Dip Vegan Mac and Cheese
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Sweet onion, cut into chunks
- 1 Head Garlic, peeled
- 12 Ounces Pasta, any short type
- 2 Tablespoons Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 2 Tablespoons All purpose flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Non-dairy milk, unsweetened I used oat milk
- 1 1/2 Cups Vegan cheese shreds, I used Follow your Heart Cheddar style and Mozzarella style*
- 1/4 Cup Vegan Parmesan, I used Violife
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees(F).
- Peel the onion and cut into large chunks. Peel the garlic cloves, you can leave them whole.
- Put the onions and garlic on a sheet pan. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Roast them for 25-30 minutes or until they are nice and brown and caramelized. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- Now, cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain when the pasta is al dente.
- Once the onions and garlic have cooled a little, put them in a food processor. Puree them until they are a pretty smooth paste. Set aside.
- Now, start the cheese sauce. In a large pot, heat the vegan butter on medium.
- Once the butter has melted, add the flour and whisk to combine and form a roux. Simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Then pour in the non-dairy milk and a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk to combine and make sure there are no lumps.
- Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium low. Simmer until the milk starts to thicken. About 2-3 minutes. Whisking constantly.
- Then add the vegan cheeses. Whisk to combine and continue to whisk until the cheeses have melted.
- Season with another pinch of salt and pepper.
- Once the cheese sauce is nice and smooth, add the pureed onions and garlic and stir to combine.
- Add the pasta to the pot with the cheese sauce and toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve immediately with extra vegan Parmesan if desired.