Handheld food forever!
Summer is for messy handheld food. Awesome burgers and sandwiches, juicy fruits. Grilled kabobs and skewers. Well, add these vegan buttermilk fried mushroom sandwiches to your list. They are messy, they are handheld, they are one of the most delicious sandwiches ever made. Crispy fried mushrooms that are juicy on the inside. Topped with sweet and spicy mayo, greens and don’t forget to warm up the buns.
This is a super fast sandwich, so you don’t have to spend all day in the kitchen. I don’t know about you, but in the summer, I like 15-30 minute meals. Fried mushroom sandwiches are the way to go.
The mushrooms are dipped in a super light vegan buttermilk batter. Shallow fried for a few minutes and placed on a bun accompanied by slaw and a quick sweet and spicy mayo. I did also test an oven fried version, and it works pretty well, if that is more your speed, it didn’t get quite as nice and brown, but it still tasted great. I just prefer the fried version.
Handheld summertime meals for the win. Always. Messy, yummy, drippy, juicy, deliciousness. When I was a kid, during the summer, I used to eat all my meals outside. These vegan buttermilk fried mushroom sandwiches are definitely picnic table worthy! Maybe with potato or pasta salad?! Heck yes! I know what I’m doing the rest of the summer!
Vegan Buttermilk Fried Mushroom Sandwiches
- 4 Small Portobello mushrooms
- 1 C. Almond milk or other non dairy milk
- 1 tsp. Apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 C. All purpose flour
- 1/2 C. Corn starch
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. Black pepper
- Oil for frying
- 1/2 C. Vegan mayo
- 1 Tbsp. Agave syrup
- 1/2 tsp. Hot sauce
- Shredded cabbage or greens
- 4 Buns
- Cut the stem out of the Mushrooms, and make sure they are flat-ish. If they have a large curve on the edge. Trim some of the edge so they are flat.
- Then whisk together the almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Let sit for a few minutes until it begins to curdle, making vegan buttermilk.
- Next, In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the flour, corn starch, salt,garlic and pepper. Then pour the vegan "buttermilk" into the dry mixture. Whisk until fully combined and lump free.
- Now, begin heating the oil on medium high in a large skillet. You want about 1/2 an inch of oil in the pan. Once the oil is hot, dip a mushroom into the batter. Coating completely.
- Then, gently place into the hot oil. Fry on one side until it is nice and brown, it will take 2-3 minutes. Then flip the mushroom and fry on the other side for a few more minutes until the whole mushroom is brown and crispy.
- Repeat this process with all the mushrooms. Place them on a paper towel and sprinkle with a little more salt.
- Make the mayo, by whisking together the vegan mayo, agave and hot sauce.
- Put together the sandwiches. A little mayo on a bun, then mushroom, cabbage or greens, then more mayo. Serve immediately!