So hello to your new favorite vegan hamburger helper recipe! This broccoli cheddar vegan hamburger helper is a one pot meal. A happy marriage of childhood classic and a dairy-free broccoli cheddar soup. It is creamy and oh so cheesy. And anything made in one-pot is right up my alley. I can only assume that you agree. You sauté the vegan ground beef first with lots of garlic. Take the sautéed “beef” out of the pot, then simmer the pasta right in the sauce. Add back in the “beef,” vegan cheddar cheese and broccoli. Not only is this meal fast and will satisfy anyone, it is super cost effective. Using frozen broccoli!
What You Need For This Plant-Based Hamburger Helper:
- Vegan “Beef”: I like to use Beyond Beef.
- Garlic and Garlic Powder: For the perfect garlicky flavor.
- Olive Oil, Tomato Paste, Vegan Butter, Flour, Veggie Broth: To make the sauce and cook the pasta.
- Pasta: I recommend shells or elbow macaroni.
- Non-dairy Cream or Milk: I like to use Silk heavy cream, but you can also use your favorite non-dairy milk.
- Frozen Broccoli: You just want to thaw it and add it in to heat it up!
- Vegan Cheddar: I always use Violife! It melts very easily.
The very sight of this broccoli cheddar vegan hamburger helper dish will create instant drooling for anyone who enters the kitchen while you are making it. And setting a big bowl of this stuff in front of anyone will cause them to fall madly in love with you. So, just prepare yourself for that! And use that power wisely. With great power comes great responsibility. You’ll enjoy the leftovers too!
Why Should You Make This Cheesy Broccoli Pasta?
- One pot! Need I say more?
- This homemade version of a classic is so freaking delicious.
- Kid and adult approved.
- The mashup of broccoli cheddar soup and hamburger helper is perfection!
- The perfect lazy chilly day meal.
Broccoli Cheddar Vegan Hamburger Helper
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 Pound(16oz.) Vegan beef, I used Beyond Beef
- 4 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 2 Tablespoons All purpose flour
- 3 Cups Vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 2 Cups Pasta, shells or elbow macaroni
- 1/2 Cup Vegan heavy cream or non-dairy milk, I used Silk whipping cream
- 1 1/2 Cups Vegan cheddar style shreds, I used Violife
- 8 Ounces Frozen broccoli, thawed and drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil on medium high in a large non-stick pot.
- Add the vegan beef and the garlic. Break the "beef" up with a wooden spoon, then sauté, reducing heat as needed, until the "beef" is brown. About 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove the "beef" and garlic from the pot and put it in a bowl. Set aside.
- Add the vegan butter to the pot and heat on medium. Once the butter has melted, add the flour. Whisk to combine and make a roux. Let the roux simmer for a minute.
- Add the vegetable broth, tomato paste, salt and garlic powder. Whisk to combine, making sure there are no lumps of roux left.
- Bring to a simmer, then add the pasta and stir, making sure the pasta is as submerged as possible.
- Let the pasta simmer, until it is cooked through and the liquid has mostly been absorbed. About 15 to 17 minutes.
- Once the pasta is al dente, add in the vegan cream or milk and the vegan cheddar.
- Stir and let the cheddar melt.
- Then add in the broccoli and stir to combine. Let the broccoli heat up for a few minutes.
- Now add the "beef" and the garlic back to the pot and stir to combine.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve immediately.
I made this last night and my husband said it was “outstanding “ ! It’s a damp cool night on the NJ coast and this was just perfect comfort food at its best! I only added onions and some fresh basil and spinach along with the fresh broccoli! Another keeper from Rabbit and Wolves! Keep up the great work!! LOVE YOUR RECIPES!! Thank you for showing the world how easy it is to eat plant based!
Very good!! Perfect for weeknights
Oh goodness, this is delicious! I only had about 6 oz of beyond beef, but we made do. My picky eater 9 year old loved it! There were no leftovers. I’ll be taking this to family and church gatherings as my go-to dish now. Our family so appreciates your amazing recipes. ♥️
This is absolutely delicious – definitely going into our weeknight rotation! Thanks for veganizing a childhood favorite!