The best tempeh of all time!
This copycat Panda Express vegan Beijing tempeh is so freaking delicious, but so much healthier than the real thing. Tempeh strips are marinated in this super tasty Beijing sauce, that I made refined sugar. Then tossed in corn starch and made super crispy. It changes the texture and flavor so much, you will be totally amazed by how delicious tempeh can be!
After the tempeh is nice and crispy, you add in some garlic, onions and bell pepper. Then the super simple and awesome tempeh marinade becomes the sauce. Making this vegan Beijing tempeh like crazy fast and easy.
The sauce is sweet and salty and a little spicy and really just super incredible. It is my current favorite way to flavor tempeh. The first time I had tempeh, many years ago, I hated it. I thought the texture was strange and it tasted like nothing! After years of trying different recipes, I started to really like it, but I think if you start with this vegan Beijing tempeh, you will forever be addicted to tempeh.
This recipe requires very few ingredients, is very fast and very healthy. You can use low sodium soy sauce if that is a concern of yours as well, and you can very easily make this gluten free by using tamari instead of soy sauce. So one of the most delicious meals I have ever had can be eaten by almost everyone!
Vegan Beijing Tempeh
- 8 oz. Tempeh
- 1/4 C. Water
- 2 Tbsp. Coconut sugar or maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. Tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. Hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Soy sauce, regular or low sodium
- 1 tsp. Chili sauce, I used Asian Chili Garlic sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Apple cider vinegar
- 1 C. Bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 C. Onion, chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1/2 C. Corn starch
- 3 Tbsp. Light oil, (veggie, peanut, sunflower)
- Slice your block of tempeh into thin strips and place them in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, add the water, coconut sugar or maple syrup, tomato paste, hoisin, soy sauce, chili sauce, and apple cider vinegar. Whisk to fully combine. Then pour the sauce over the tempeh and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Once you are ready, remove the tempeh from the marinade and save the marinade.
- Add the corn starch to a bowl, and toss the strips of tempeh in the corn starch shaking the excess off.
- Then, heat the oil on medium high in a non stick skillet or wok. Then add the strips of tempeh to the skillet, and brown on each side. It will take 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Next, add in the peppers, onions and garlic. Toss and saute until the veggies are cooked reducing heat as needed, about 4-5 minutes.
- Now, pour the marinade over the tempeh and veggies. Toss to coat everything in the sauce. Simmer for a minute to thicken the sauce.
- Serve immediately with rice or quinoa or veggies.