Vegan Seitan “Chicken” Sandwich with Quick Pickle and Sweet Mustard Sauce
I have been thinking a lot recently about what my mission is, and why I wanted to start developing plant based healthy recipes in the first place. I have been thinking about how busy people live and people who really don’t know how to cook or hate cooking. I won’t lie, this recipe is a bit time consuming, but it is super simple, and you can make seitan ahead of time and keep it in the fridge and just use is whenever. So a little but of prep ahead if time, actually will make this a really fast recipe. So, back to my previous thought, people eat fast food, all the time. I actually don’t pretty much ever, mostly because I don’t have a lot of options, but also, my stomach is very sensitive and doesn’t like processed and greasy food. So, I often forget the fact that many people love fast food, and they get used to it and crave it. I have asked myself, what can I do, as part of my original mission to get meat eaters to eat a little better and realize how easy it actually is to vegan!
One of my fellow food bloggers who is super amazing, Janine who runs Nuts and Blueberries had an idea to get all us healthy food bloggers to create a plant based healthier version of some fast food for a #healthyfastfood4 carnival! I was immediately on it, as this is something I have been wanting to work on for a while. I thought back to what my favorite fast food item was when I was a kid, and something I would love to share with families everywhere! Chicken sandwich! It also just so happens that my husband makes a killer homemade seitan!
Now, you can totally buy seitan at the store and do the same thing if you want, but my husband’s seitan recipe is out of control amazing. However, some people don’t have time to make the seitan, and I don’t want to limit anyone low on time! This sandwich is better than a real fried chicken sandwich, I promise, and it isn’t even fried, it is baked!!!Yeah! You don’t have to feel guilty about giving this to your children, vegan, refined sugar free(I saw a lot of chicken sandwiches with powdered sugar in the flour mix) and totally amazing! If you want more ideas, please check out all the submissions for the #healthyfastfood4 carnival on Instagram and on Janine’s amazing website. I hope you enjoy!
If you have any questions about this recipe or any other, just let me know. I am happy to answer any questions you may have, or just leave some feedback if you want so I know if I am doing a good job or not!
- Prep Time: 2h 15m
- Cook Time: 45m
- Total Time: 3h
- 4 Buns ( used pretzel buns)
- 1 Cucumber ( I like the seedless ones)
- 1/2 c Rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. Pickling spice
- 3 tbsp. Salt
- 1 tbsp. Agave nectar
- 1 Basic Seitan Recipe(below)
- 1/2 c Almond milk
- 1/2 tsp. Apple cider vinegar
- 1 c All purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. Coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. Smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
Sweet Mustard Sauce
- 1/2 c Vegan mayo ( I used Follow your Heart)
- tsp. Mustard
- 1 tsp. Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. Agave nectar
- Make the seitan, you can make this days before, (you can also half that recipe if you only want to make the four sandwiches, but I like to have it on hand) and save it in the fridge.
- When you are ready to make your sandwiches, make the pickles, by cutting the cucumber in thin slices. Then mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl and letting the cucumbers marinate for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 450. To make the “chicken” patties, cut the seitan into thick slices, and then mix the almond milk and apple cider vinegar together in one bowl. Then mix all the dry ingredients in another bowl. Dip the seitan into the almond milk mixture, into the dry mixture and repeat. Place the patty on a prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the other slices. I sprayed mine with a little avocado oil to make sure they got brown.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes or until brown.
- Make sauce by whisking all the ingredients together.
- When patties are done, assemble with sauce , patty, pickles and lettuce and onion or tomato if yo want!