Vegan Mini Mint Chocolate Chip Donuts
I haven’t used my Wilton mini donut pan in quite a while, it was just staring me right in the face screaming “use me, use me, you know you need mini donuts in your life.” I originally purchased the pan for an event I catered that requested mini vegan desserts, and lots of them. I came up with mini pies, donuts, cupcakes and cookies. They were such a big hit, I got a lot more requests for mini desserts, and I love doing them! Anyways, that was over a year ago, and I have not had an occasion recently to pull it out and put it to good use.
Today, I decided to give the mini donut pan a turn in the oven, but what to do, what to do? One of my husband’s favorite flavor combos is chocolate and mint, so I decided to create something based on that. I then thought to myself, I wonder how many calories would be in one, this may be a low calorie sweet treat you could have a few of and not feel so bad. I do generally try to watch my calorie intake just a tad and make sure I am exercising enough. So I calculated the calories, mostly for my own piece of mind, and guess what? They are only 35 calories each! You could have a few for dessert, and feel really good about it. There is a small amount of sugar, and I used organic sugar, just to make myself feel even better.
These babies are so scrumptious, and fluffy and light. They also remind me of my favorite time of year(other than Fall), Winter! I know it is summer, but I am more than ready for it to be over! Bring me pumpkin, bring me mint, bring me cranberries…please! So enjoy these (almost) guilt free winter inspired treats!
2 C. All purpose flour
1/2 C. Organic sugar
1/2 C. Dark chocolate(vegan) mini chips
2 tsp. Baking powder
1 tsp. Salt
3/4 C. Almond milk
1 tsp. Apple cider vinegar
2 Flax eggs (2 Tbsp. Flax meal+3Tbsp. Water=1 egg)
2 Tbsp. Vegan butter( I use Earth Balance), melted
1/2 tsp. Mint extract
Vegan Green food coloring(optional), to desired color
1/2 C. Dk. Chocolate
1 Tbsp. Coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 375. Make flax eggs. Make vegan buttermilk, by mixing the almond milk and apple cider vinegar together and set aside.
- Mix flour, sugar, chocolate chips, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in flax eggs, vegan buttermilk and melted vegan butter. Mix until everything is combined.
- Add mint and food coloring.
- Grease a donut pan, mini or regular, and using a piping bag or large plastic bag filled with dough, pipe dough into pan.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes if using mini pan, a little longer for regular sized donuts.
- Microwave chocolate and coconut oil for 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval until melted.
- Once donuts are cooled, dip in chocolate glaze. Eat ’em all!
This recipe makes about 4 dozen mini donuts and probably about 1 dozen or so regular. Only 35 calories if you make mini ones! This is a very easy just throw everything together, pretty hard to mess up recipe, and four year old girl approved!
Tools I Used: