Vegan Greek Yogurt Triple Berry Crumb Muffins
I have been wanting to try a muffin using vegan greek style yogurt for a while. I see these recipes all the time using greek yogurt, and I wanted to know if a vegan version would turn out well. The answer is yes! These are so light, fluffy and moist, plus without all the fat and cholesterol that animal products have. I have also been trying to have breakfasts that are ready the day before and an easy grab and go, as we are usually hustling out the door in the morning to get someone somewhere. With school starting in a few weeks, and it being my daughter’s first year of school, I want to try to be a bit more organized than usual so that she isn’t going to school hungry. I am a bit of a disaster you see, all my other mom friends travel with a houseful of stuff for their kids(snacks, change of clothes, drinks, toys). I have always felt like I was getting something wrong. I have realized recently, I am just me. A disaster who loves her kid and has a very happy one. However, the point is, prepping breakfast will perhaps make the hurricane that I am into a tropical storm.
These are the muffins before the crumb topping. They would be delicious without the topping if you just aren’t feelin’ that, but the crumb topping is frackin’ delish and really easy. It just takes an extra step, but requires no skill at all. You just crumbling a few ingredients together and wa la.
Oh you fabulous crumb topping, you make these muffins even more beautiful and glorious. Never change, I love you just the way you are. Here is the recipe, please enjoy!
1/4 C. Vegan butter( I use Earth Balance)
3/4 C. White sugar
2 Flax eggs(2 Tbsp. flax meal+3 Tbsp. water=1 flax egg)
1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla extract
1 1/3 C. All purpose flour
1/2 tsp. Baking soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 C. Fresh blueberries
1/2 C. Fresh blackberries
1/2 C. All purpose flour
1/4 C. Brown sugar
1 tsp. Cinnamon
5 Tbsp. Vegan butter
- Make the crumb topping, mix all the dry ingredients in a small bowl, and cut in cold vegan butter. Crumble with your hands or a fork until all combined and crumbly. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cream together the vegan butter and sugar. Add the flax eggs and vanilla.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Start adding the dry ingredients to the vegan butter and sugar mixture, alternating with the greek yogurt, until the flour mixture and yogurt are completely incorporated.
- Fold in the berries, carefully so you don’t smash them.
- Fill the muffin tin with the batter, and then top each with the crumb topping.
- Bake for 13-16 minutes. Or until a toothpick comes out clean.