Vegan Chocolate Peppermint Truffle Tart
Who doesn’t love chocolate and peppermint merged together in sweet harmony? The answer, my four year old daughter, but no one else. She thinks peppermint is “too spicy”. I on the other hand(and everyone else), think it is a quintessential part of the holiday season, and one of my favorite flavors. This tart is only 6 ingredients, the filling is made with agave instead of refined sugar, and I made my crust gluten free! No one will be able to tell! This is one of the most decadent desserts ever. It needs to chill for a few hours, but the actual process of making this tart takes maybe 15 minutes! I think this is a must have for any holiday party you attend. Especially the ones where you know there will be no healthy desserts!
The chocolate peppermint filling for this tart is literal perfection, just the right amount of peppermint, just the right amount of sweetness. The crust is crunchy and the exact texture contrast this tart needed. I think you will find this is going to be a new holiday staple in your house, once you give it a try. I am pretty sure my husband will be requesting many of these in the next month!
So, I made this crust gluten free just by using gluten free chocolate sandwich cookies, but you can use whatever you want. Even a graham cracker crust made the same way would be delicious, I just really wanted that super luscious double chocolate flavor. The beautifully smooth and creamy chocolate filling is made so gorgeous with the help of coconut cream. Damn it, I love Trader Joe’s. Their coconut cream is so thick, the things it can accomplish are insane!
This tart did not last long, I can tell I have a winner when my husband takes one bite of something and declares “this will not last until tomorrow”. That is exactly what happened when I gave him a bite of this to try. Not only does he have super creative, awesome ideas himself, but he is also my taste tester! I am pretty sure he loves that part of his job!
I hope you all do some great cooking and baking this holiday season! This is my favorite time of year, it is totally acceptable for me to over feed everyone I know. You definitely want to be my friend around November and December, I will give you all the goodies! The rest of the year I am a real jerk, jk. Love to you all, and happy food adventures!
Tools I Used:
Fox Run Preferred Non-stick Rectangular Quiche Pan w/ Removeable Bottom, 14″ X 5″
Fox Run Preffered Round Quiche Pan w/ Removable Bottom
ExcelSteel 579 3-Piece Stainless Steel Boiler, 2.5-Quart
Hamilton Beach 12-Cup Stack and Snap Food Processor (70725A)
Vegan Chocolate Peppermint Truffle Tart
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 15m
- Total Time: 3h 30m
- 30 Gluten free or regular chocolate sandwich cookies (I used Trader Joe’s Gluten free Joe Joe’s)
- 1/4 c Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance (melted)
- 1 Can of Coconut Cream, just the solid cream part (I used Trader Joe’s)
- 3 c Dark Chocolate, make sure it is vegan
- 1/2 tsp. Peppermint extract
- 1/4 c Agave nectar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a food processor, process the chocolate sandwich cookies and melted vegan butter. Pulse for a few minutes until the cookies become a fine crumb texture and it starts to comes together and form a ball.
- Press into a prepared tart pan that is either circular or rectangular, just make sure it has a pop out bottom. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, using a double boiler, add all the filling ingredients to the top portion of your double boiler(I have a special double boiler pot, but you can just set a heat resistant bowl on top of a small pot filled with a bit of water and brought to a boil) Stir constantly until the chocolate is fully melted and everything is smooth and shiny. This will take a few minutes.
- Once the crust has baked, remove from oven, pour chocolate mixture into the crust. Smooth out evenly, and place in fridge. Chill for at least 3 hours before serving. Serve with dairy free whipped cream and some chopped candy canes!
- I recommend keeping this in the fridge until you are ready to serve! Slice and enjoy!