Vegan Chive Pappardelle with Meyer Lemon Cream Sauce
Fresh pasta sounds kind of intimidating. Right? Well, don’t feel intimidated. It is actually really easy to make without even having a pasta maker. This Chive Pappardelle is so simple. With 5 ingredients and about 15 minutes, you too can have the most amazing fresh pasta. Pappardelle is one of my favorite pastas, I love wider flat noodles, and these are the ultimate perfect pasta. I had romantic dinners on my mind in honor of Valentine’s day coming up, and I decided to work on some fresh pasta. I think it is the perfect dish for romance!
I decided to make an herb pappardelle, and thought chives would be the best. What goes beautifully with chives? Lemon. So when I happened upon the most fragrant bag of meyer lemons, I knew it was calling to me! So, chive pappardelle with meyer lemon cream sauce was born. It is all things good in the world. The texture of the fresh pasta, the little bit of onion flavor the chive adds, mixed with the most creamy luscious citrus sauce, it all tastes so complex, but is so incredibly easy to make. You will probably impress yourself!
I recently saw a tutorial for an easy way to roll out pasta without a pasta maker. If you roll it out really thin with a rolling pin, then roll the pasta like you would a cinnamon roll or something, you can then cut it into perfect uniform strips. It works so well, and I definitely recommend it!
This is maybe the most simple pasta sauce ever. It is super creamy, made from cashews and almond milk, thrown into a blender and that’s it. You can then place it in a sauce pan to heat up, but if you want to be super lazy(which I generally do) you can just toss it with the hot pasta, and it will be fine that way as well! The sauce is 6 ingredients, 2 of which are salt and pepper! You do need to soak the cashews, but I really love to just soak them over night so they are ready when you are.
Okay, friends, you can make this fresh pasta, I know you can! Once you do it the first time, you will realize that you could have been doing it forever. You can make healthy, quick and delicious fresh pasta anytime you want. You can play around with the flavors, add different herbs and spices. This is a great place to start! I hope you enjoy!
- 2 C. All purpose flour
- 2 C. Semolina flour
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 1 1/4 C. Water
- 1/4 C. Fresh chives
- 1 C. Cashews, raw (soaked for at least 8 hours)
- 1/2 C. Almond milk
- Juice of 3 Meyer lemons (mine were small, you may only need 2 if they are large)
- 1 tsp. Meyer lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp. Nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Pepper
- Make the pasta, by adding all the ingredients to a food processor. Process for a few minutes until it forms a ball, and the chives are chopped and go throughout the dough.
- Pull dough out of the food processor, and shape into a ball, set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, make sure to salt your water.
- While water is coming to a boil, you can make the sauce.
- Add all the sauce ingredients to a blender, blend on high until really smooth and creamy, it may take a few minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning. Set aside.
- Now, cut the pasta dough into four, roll out the pasta on a floured surface, really thin maybe an 8th or 16th of an inch thick. Roll up the pasta onto itself, like a cinnamon roll, then cut into strips, you should get perfect noodles. Repeat until all the dough is rolled out and cut.
- Once the water is boiling add the pasta, maybe half at a time, and cook for 1 1/2 -2 minutes.
- Toss with the sauce and serve immediately!
- You can leave the boiling water in the pot and let it stay at a boil, and just fish the pasta that is done out with a slotted spoon.
- If your food processor is not large enough to process all the dough at once, you can do half at a time.
- I like to soak my cashews overnight, that way they are ready when you are.