Vegan Chicken and Dumplings
Yes, I am from the South. Florida though, is different from the rest of the South, our food is definitely more seafood and Hispanic food than soul food and down home cooking. That being said, my Grandma grew up in Kentucky and my Dad also spent a significant amount of time there. So, I do know Southern food. One of my favorites was always chicken and dumplings. My Dad made a mean chicken and dumplings when I was a kid! My husband Chris and I talk a lot about our childhoods, the good and the bad, and this ALWAYS leads to conversations about food!
Making my happy memories vegan is a thing of beauty and pride for me. So, this vegan chicken and dumplings came together so perfectly, and warmed me inside and out. This is the PERFECT winter recipe! So steamy, a little spicy and so filling.
Have you ever made chicken and dumplings? It is incredibly easy and totally brilliant. The dumplings act like built in biscuits for sauce dippin’! We worked with the dumplings a few times, the first time they were too dry, then a little too moist, but finally we got them just right! Underneath the fluffy amazing biscuit like dumplings, is a fabulous thick gravy and vegan chicken as well as some nice diced veggies. This dish is all around insanely delicious. You need to make this before winter is over!
Oh man, so steamy! This chicken and dumplings needs to be in your belly on a cold night! This recipe is incredibly easy, ready pretty quickly and will feed your whole family, and then some. This recipe will warm you up and make you so happy, I promise!
Super rustic with a gravy base and drop dumplings, you really can’t go wrong here! Spoon into a nice bowl, serve piping hot with some nice fresh parsley, there is literally nothing better. I hope you enjoy!
- 2 C. All purpose flour
- 2 tsp. Baking powder
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 3 Tbsp. Dried chives
- 2 Tbsp. Flax meal
- 3 Tbsp. Water
- 1 C. Almond milk
- 1 tsp. Apple cider vinegar
- 1 Large carrot, diced
- 2 Stalks of celery,diced
- 1/2 an Onion, diced
- 2 Cloves of garlic,diced
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 C. White wine
- 1/4 C. All purpose flour
- 1/4 C. Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 5 C. Vegan chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 2 C. Vegan chicken, I used Trader Joe's Chickenless strips
- 1 Bay leaf
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp. Cayenne pepper(optional)
- Make the dumplings, whisk together all the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl, make a flax egg by mixing flax and water together and let sit for a minute. Make vegan buttermilk by mixing almond milk and apple cider vinegar together and let sit for a minute.
- Add the flax egg and vegan buttermilk to the dry ingredients, and stir until completely combined. Set aside.
- In a large soup pot , heat 1 tbsp of olive oil on medium heat, add the carrots, celery, onion and garlic. Sweat for a few minutes until the onion starts to become translucent.
- Add the white wine, stir and reduce for a few minutes. Pour veggies and remaining wine into a bowl and set aside.
- In the soup pot, add the vegan butter and flour and stir. Cook for a few minutes to make a roux.
- Add the stock and the veggies and wine back in. Stir together. Add the vegan chicken and bay leaf.
- Taste and season.
- Time to add the dumplings, scoop small scoops of dough into the liquid in the pot, until all the dough has been used.
- Cover and reduce heat to low, simmer for 25 to 30 minutes until the dumplings are cooked through.
- Serve with parsley!