Vegan Cajun Tofu with Creamy Grits and Greens
I am madly in love with New Orleans, and it is actually not a long drive from where I live! My husband and I took our daughter to New Orleans a few months ago, and we had an amazing time. I had some amazing food, but couldn’t find a lot of Cajun food that was vegan. I was pretty jealous of all the spicy goodness my husband had. So here we are. Cajun spiced tofu and creamy grits with some super garlicky kale! This whole recipe is so quick and easy! The perfect weeknight meal!
I made my own Cajun seasoning, and I will put the recipe below for you, however, if you don’t feel like doing that, a store bought premixed spice is totally fine. The smell of the spice alone will make your mouth water. I decided to make this Cajun tofu super crispy using my baking method. Healthy, quick, crispy, spicy tofu. Absolute perfection! The contrast of the spicy crisp tofu and the super creamy grits makes me feel like I am definitely not missing out on anything!
I used what some would call an excessive amount of garlic for the greens, but I am garlic obsessed! I used about 6 cloves, but you can dial it back a bit if you want. However, I recommend going full garlic. For sure! The beauty of all this flavor working together so harmoniously is amazing. One bite with grits, tofu and greens all together is pure bliss. Get a huge mouth full of everything, you will be super happy, I promise!
I love Southern cooking! I feel super comfortable with cooking it and all the flavors. I am going to be working on a lot more Southern fare soon. Stay tuned for some fried green tomatoes! That will be happening in the coming weeks! The South and especially New Orleans has a special place in my heart. The South will always be home, no matter where I go! I hope ya’ll enjoy!
- 1 Block extra firm tofu
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Cajun seasoning(store bought, or homemade-recipe below)
- 1 C. Grits, old fashioned
- 4 C. Water
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 3 C. Greens, I used Kale and Dandelion greens
- 4-6 Cloves of Garlic
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. Garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. Onion powder
- 1 Tbsp. Oregano
- 1 Tbsp. Thyme
- 1 Tbsp. Black pepper
- 2 tsp. Cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Paprika
- 1 tsp. Red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Press your tofu a bit to get some of the water out. Cut into small cubes.
- Toss in a bowl with the Cajun seasoning. Place in a single layer on a prepared baking sheet. Bake at 450 for 30-45 minutes until nice and crispy.
- While the tofu is baking, start the grits, bring the water to a boil, add the grits, reduce to a simmer and cook covered for about 20 minutes.
- Once you have the tofu and grits going, you can saute the greens. Heat a saute pan with the olive oil, add the garlic and greens. Cook on medium high until the greens are wilted and cooked through. Add salt and pepper to taste. Turn off heat.
- Once the grits are done, add salt and vegan butter and stir.
- When everything is ready, the tofu, grits and greens, serve immediately all together with extra hot sauce if you want!